Third African IRPA Regional Conference - First Announcement
The First Announcement for the 3rd African IRPA Regional Conference has been published and can be found on the Publications, IRPA Documents and Reports page. The Conference will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, Septemeber 19 to 24, 2010.
Two Regional IRPA conferences have been held: South Africa in 2003; and Egypt in April, 2007. The theme of the 2010 conference is: Strengthening Radiation Protection Infrastructures in Africa: To-wards Establishing Effective and Sustainable Co-operations and Networks. With this slogan, the organizers plan to create opportunities for open high level discussions by the relevant stake-holders with a view to present an accurate current situation of applications of radiation technologies and radiation protection practices in Africa, and make resolutions for necessary improvements. Such discussions will involve decision makers, professionals in various fields of applications of radiation, relevant organizations (local and international, governmental and NGO) and the general public.
The Conference scope is broad, multidisciplinary and intersectorial, including (but not limited to) the following topics:
- Radiation protection infrastructures (including establishment of legal framework and regulatory systems);
- Procedures and techniques for assessing occupational, public, and medical exposures; etc.
- Dosimetry, Radiation detection/measurement methods;
- Biological and health effects of radiation at low doses;
- Natural sources of radiation;
- Nuclear and other renewable energy options for Africa;
- Application of nuclear metrology to environmental studies;
- Health and safety concerns for non-ionizing radiation sources;
- Education and training in radiation protection.